My guest this episode is former professional New Zealander Cricketer Richard Petrie. After a successful career in sports, Richard has since established himself as the world’s leading marketer for architects.
We sat down to discuss how to communicate value to clients, how to get the clients you want, how to market as a generalist and more.
"The 6 most costly mistakes designers make that stop them winning great projects and earning high fees"
1. They think great design is there best marketing (Marketer first designer second)
2. They don’t build a referral base (referral business) table
3. They don’t establish a beachhead position (Steve jobs) and a unique value
4. They can’t communicate their value ( best kept secret)
5. They give away design ideas for free - You invest at the beginning, or you pay at the end. If you spend 20% of your efforts with an architect, you'll spend 80% with your contractor; but if you spend 80% of your efforts with an architect, you'll spend 20% with the contractor.
It is better to work out your ideas on paper first than it is to work them out in the field,
Get it right first
- Try to work it all out themselves
(a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client)
A client who tries to save money by doing the design themselves ends up with an inferior outcome at an inflated cost.
But there are also a lot of ‘experts’ are wannabes not real experts. Make sure your designer has a proven track record.